Homeless crisis: ‘Major’ public consultation on issue coming to Montreal

The City of Montreal is launching a ‘major’ public consultation on addressing and finding solutions to homelessness.

Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante announced the initiative on Tuesday, along with local public health and provincial officials.

She said the city has listened to Montrealers and wants to involve both citizens and community organizations in the next steps.

“We are seeing more and more residents, parents, families and business owners concerned about the way resources are being allocated in their area and we must do better to anticipate the growing needs,” Plante said in a statement.

The latest news from Canada and around the world, straight to your email inbox.

The public consultation comes at a time when Montreal, like Quebec, is dealing with a growing number of people living in emergency shelters or on the streets.

Last year, a report found that “visible homelessness” increased by 33 percent in Montreal between April 2018 and October 2022. The survey counted 10,000 homeless people in the province, including 4,690 in Montreal, as of Oct. 11, 2022.

Story continues below advertisement

The development was also announced a day after Montreal police were called to investigate the death of a man found lifeless in a “makeshift shelter” between buildings.

The dates for the public consultation have not yet been set, but they will be announced on the city’s website in the coming weeks, after which a report of the findings will be made public.

with files from Global’s Dan Spector and The Canadian Press


Click to play video: 'Man who lived in 'makeshift shelter' found dead in Montreal'


Man living in ‘makeshift shelter’ found dead in Montreal


© 2024 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Kalina Laframboise

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *